Language 🌏

Lump-sum Pension Withdrawal Payment Calculator

Your Social Insurance Coverage Period

[0 Months]



From April 2021, the maximum number of years for Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment has been changed from 3 years to 5 years. Please refer to this FAQ item for details.

Average Monthly Salary During the Coverage Periods (Before-tax)


Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment

Withholding Income Tax

Est. Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment

Est. Total Payout After Claiming Tax Refund


⚠ The information provided here is for estimation purposes only and may differ from the actual amount you receive.


What is a Lump-sum Pension Withdrawal Payment?

Simply put, it's a partial refund of the pension you've paid during your time working in Japan, and you can apply for it if you are leaving Japan permanently.

Who is eligible?

If you meet ALL of the following criteria, you should be eligible:


You apply within two years of leaving Japan


You don't hold Japanese citizenship (Permanent Residents are eligibile)


You don't currently have a registered address in Japan


You paid the Employee's Pension Insurance (厚生年金, Kosei-nenkin) or National Pension (国民年金, Kokumin-nenkin) for more than 6 months and less than 10 years

How can I recieve it?

There are six steps and the entire process can take from five to nine months.


Submit necessary documents to Japan Pension Service.


Japan Pension Service will then transfer the Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment to your bank account, after deducting the withholding income tax.

* Even if you apply through an agency, the payout will go directly to your bank account.


Find and assign a Tax Representative*, then file a declaration to the local tax office.

* In order to apply for the tax refund portion of your payout, you must assign a third party as your Tax Representative.


Your Tax Representative submits "Refund Due to Taxation on Retirement Income at the Taxpayer's Option" to claim your tax refund.


The tax authorities will transfer your tax refund to your Tax Representative's account, which will then be remitted to your account by them.


Dismiss your Tax Representative.

What documents do I need?

To apply for your Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment, you'll need the following:


Copy of Passport

・The page with your name, date of birth, nationality, and signature

・The page that shows your visa status in Japan (Landing Permission)


Copy of Bankbook

・Alternatively, any document that can verify your bank and branch's name, the address of the branch, your account number, and your name as the account owner is acceptable.

・Due to Japan Pension Service's Policy, if you apply with a Japanese bank account, your name on the account should have been registered in Katakana, not in Roman Alphabets.

・Due to Japan Pension Service's Policy, Japan Post Bank (ゆうちょ銀行) accounts are not accepted.


Copy of your pension book, or a document that verifies your Basic Pension Number (基礎年金番号, Kiso-nenkin-bango)


Copy of My Number Card (Both Front & Back)

・If you don't have a My Number Card, attach a copy (both front & back) of your Residence Card (在留カード, Zairyu-card)


Proof that you do not have an address registered in Japan

・Residence Cancellation Record (住民票の除票, Juminhyo-no-johyo)

・This document is not necessary if you have submitted Moving-Out Notification Form, but it may help speed up the process.


Letter of Attorney

・Required if applying via an agency

To claim income tax refund:


Original Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment Confirmation Notice (Photocopies are not accepted)


Regarding Calculation

I heard that from April 2021, the maximum number of years for Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment will be raised from 3 years to 5 years. Who is eligible for this change?

Why am I seeing "Qualified to receive Old-age Pension" / "You may be ineligible if you studied abroad in Japan"?

I have a gap in my coverage period (due to unemployment or other reasons). How can I calculate my Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment?

Regarding Paperwork

How long will it take to receive my Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment and Tax Refund?

Can I receive my Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment with a non-Japanese bank account?

I already received my Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment, but I lost the Confirmation Notice Slip. Can I still apply for the income tax refund?

Need Agency Service?

* End of Service Notice

We currently have stopped accepting new applications for the agency service. We will continue to support those who have signed up already, until the whole refund process is completed. For the time being, we will leave the simulator function available for the convenience of the public.

Team Introduction

Service Development
Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment Application
TOSS Labor Consultant Office
Tax Representative
East International Tax Accountant Corporation
Terms of Service
Privacy Policy